Yoga therapy is rooted in the ancient practice of yoga, which originated thousands of years ago in India. In the west Yoga therapy emerged in a formal manner in the 1980s as a result of the study conducted by Dr. Dean Ornish. The study illustrated how the implementation of a healthy lifestyle program could reverse heart disease and other forms of related illness. Ornish’s program included therapeutic yoga and was the first of its kind to highlight the benefits of using yoga in this way. This program for treating heart disease was approved for insurance coverage in 1990 and it marked the beginning of yoga as a treatment option. In 1983, the Biomedical Yoga Trust was founded to further develop and standardize the field of yoga therapy.
In the year 2003, The International Yoga Academy (IYA) was founded by Dr. Yogananth Andiappan, in Hong Kong. Guruji Dr. Asana Andiappan and Late Guruma Sugatha Kumari were the founding presidents of this organization. Through the organization, over 2500 yoga teacher training graduates have been professionally trained and are currently teaching in over 50 countries. This organization has help bridge the eastern and western philosophy. IYA and its member organization’s support research and education in yoga and serve as a professional organization for yoga teachers of all traditions and lineages.
Yoga Advisory Council:
Establishment of the Yoga Advisory Council (2010) has helped provide resources on yoga therapy and research, also provision for representation for most of the major yoga traditions and lineages in Asia.
Dr. Lakshmi Andiappan is the director of yoga research committee since 2008.
Master Yogesh Varun is the executive member of Advisory Council since 2010.
Dr. Vishnu Kumar who is a chief disciple of Guruji Dr. Asana Andiappan is also the executive committee member of IYA since 2013.
Master Mahesh Iyappan who is the grandson of Guruji Dr. Asana Andiappan is a committee member of IYA since 2015.
Yoga Conference, Competitions & Festivals
International Yoga Academy has organized various yoga competitions and yoga festivals in Hong Kong and India:
7th December 2009 - 1st Asia Pacific Yoga Championship, Chennai, India
21st June 2015 - 1st International Yoga Day - Hong Kong
21st June 2016 - 2nd International Yoga Day - Hong Kong
21st June 2017 - 3rd International Yoga Day - Hong Kong
21st June 2018 - 4th International Yoga Day - Hong Kong
IAY supports research and education in yoga and serves as a professional organization for yoga teachers and yoga therapists worldwide. Our mission is to establish yoga as a recognized and respected therapy. Ensuring responsible and ethical behavior on the part of yoga therapists and yoga therapy training programs – along with promoting high educational standards in terms of yoga therapy and effective and safe yoga practice – is at the heart of establishing yoga as a recognized and respected therapy, one that is of service and benefit to the public. Also, through the IYA we make it a priority to spread the benefits of yoga philosophy and its various practices through the experts and masters who have devoted their lives to the study of yoga.
The IYA is regularly seeking advice and support from various yoga exponents and organizes various events which include, yoga teacher training, yoga seminars, yoga workshops, yoga competitions, yoga awareness camps, yoga retreats, yoga conferences, all to help foster and incur new practices to help achieve the aims of yoga philosophy, and also help victims of natural disasters and NGO’s.
Together with Andiappan Yoga Community, Hong Kong, and Anahata Yoga, Hong Kong, IYA have helped organize Yoga Workshops, fundraising events to raise funds for the victims of various organisations and countries affected by natural disasters.
We also stand to incur proper discipline among properly registered yoga therapists and set good standards for implementation of yoga practices by such yoga therapists. We want to bring to the attention of people the benefits of the wide range of formats which yoga can be practiced, and the important benefits which can be attained from yoga therapy.
- To help integrate the mind, body, and spirit using yoga. Incorporation of elements from both physical therapy and psychotherapy to help treat existing mental and physical health issues and also help use yoga as a self-care strategy for prevention and maintenance of the body and mind.
- To provide information concerning yoga philosophy is every way possible. The International Yoga Academy is the publisher and distributor of Asana - International Yoga Journal. Dr. Yogananth Andiappan, Internationally Acclaimed yoga teacher and therapist, with a professional background in yoga practice, education and research and nonprofit management, has been serving as Chief Editor and IYA's executive committee Director since 2003.
- To help properly establish yoga therapy as a treatment for back pain, heart conditions, asthma, chronic fatigue, hypertension, multiple sclerosis, side effects of chemotherapy, depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), schizophrenia, substance abuse issues (yoga positively impacts the parts of the mind and body susceptible to addiction), and also to properly develop modalities to help children with autism. Yoga also helps boost the neurotransmitter GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid), which is important because GABA levels are statistically low in people who experience substance abuse, anxiety, and depression.
- To make yoga accessible to all classes of society. The International Yoga Academy is also a supporting member of Andiappan Yoga Community a registered NGO based in Hong Kong which is reaching out to the community and making yoga available to various communities in Hong Kong. All the IYA's Teacher Training Graduates can register as a teacher volunteers of Andiappan Yoga Community, Hong Kong to serve the community class projects.
- To develop new ways by which physical yoga therapists implement yoga therapy treatments which can be provided as an adjunct to complement other forms of treatment, or used directly to treat a specific issue. Yoga techniques can range from simple to advanced and can be enjoyed by people of all ages.
- To improve the efficiency of yoga therapists. The International Yoga Academy is affiliated and has working relationship with various organizations including Indian Yoga Federation (New Delhi, India), a national organization recognized by the Indian Olympic Association; the Manonmanian Sundaranar University; and Tamil Nadu Physical Education and Sports University, Asana Andiappan College of Yoga and Research Centre, Chennai in running accredited Teacher training courses in India and abroad and Yoga Alliance USA.
- To establish yoga schools and accredit yoga studios so as to help provide adequate training to yoga scholars and yoga graduate. Yoga Studios can apply to become member schools and fulfill the guidelines of IYA's and run yoga teacher training programs with the course materials, training and support provided by IYA.
- To enlighten people, through well-trained yoga therapists, on the potential benefits from yoga therapy such as; stress reduction, psychological well-being, improved diet, efficient functioning bodily systems, reduced anxiety, improvement across several dimensions of physical and mental health (including physicality, relaxation and mindfulness).
- To help conduct a yoga therapy application properly, an initial assessment which helps identify health problems, assess lifestyle and physical capability, discuss reasons for seeking therapy, and create a standard method to help know the frequency of sessions before scheduling sessions.
- To help increase knowledge of yoga therapists in Integrative yoga therapy, essential yoga therapy, Andiappan Yoga - Yoga Therapy Series, yoga philosophy and techniques, therapeutic yoga techniques, anatomy and physiology, diet and nutrition, a basic understanding of medical care and first aid, a basic understanding of business ethics.
- To help properly define the role of a yoga therapist and ensure they have been accredited. The International Yoga Academy conducts professional part-time and full-time yoga teacher training courses in residential and non- residential mode. Upon successfully completing all the requirements of the study all the Graduates of the teacher training course will become a life member of international yoga academy will be given a free listing in our teacher's directory. They will also be given further continuing education and support through our various platforms available as yoga resource.
- To provide high-quality research and development activities that will promote the development of yoga therapy and enhance its various applications.
- To provide services that have relevance and impact on therapeutic conditions.
- To expand access to yoga in the face of unmet demand.
- To help properly incorporate yoga into daily life.
- To improve the ability of yoga therapists to communicate using common medical and psychological terminology.
- To help bring peace and harmony to the community.
The International Yoga Academy publishes and distributes various yoga products listed below:
Yoga Therapy Series DVD's authored by Dr. Yogananth Andiappan and Guruji Dr. Asana Andiappan
- Andiappan Yoga, Yoga Therapy Series
- Back Care Yoga, English
- Yoga for Jet Lag, English
- Yoga for Absolute Beginners - English
- Thirumoolar's Ashtanga Yoga Basic Series- English, Tamil, Hindi
- Detox Yoga, English
- Yoga for Diabetes, Tamil
- Yoga for Back Pain, Tamil
- Yoga for Easy Pregnancy, Tamil
Yoga Books and Teacher Training Manuals
- Yoga from the heart - Coffee Table Book
- Yoga for student’s health
- Basic Yoga Teacher Training Manual
- Advanced Hatha Yoga Teacher Training Manual
- Pranayama and Meditation Training Manual
- Prenatal Yoga Training Manual
- Kids Yoga Training Manual
- Yoga Therapy Training Manual
Yoga Wall Posters
- Andiappan Yoga - Basic Series
- Andiappan Yoga - Advanced Series 1
- Andiappan Yoga - Sun Salutation Series
- Andiappan Yoga - Kundalini Chakras
- Andiappan Yoga - Prenatal Yoga
- Asana - International Yoga Journal - Published Monthly
Yoga Application in the Apple iOS store and Google Play Store
- Andiappan Yoga
- Yoga Wallpaper HD
- Asana Yoga Journal
- Yoga Community
- Yoga from the Heart